Homemade Gift

A few weeks ago, I needed to make something "homemade" for a door prize for our Mother/Daughter banquet at my church. I wanted to do something other than cookies or bread and decided on Fried Chicken Coating Mix. Since I wanted my coating mix to be presentable for a gift basket, I designed this little gift bag "tent"...


You can see details for making your own on my creative blog, Capture the Little Things.

I've used this recipe for several years and have not grown tired of it yet! It's a healthier alternative to deep-fried chicken -- it's baked!


Fried Chicken Coating


*Sorry about the formatting here, I don't have time to figure it out!*


DRY MIX:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 cup paprika

2 Tbsp. salt

1 Tbsp. pepper

1 Tbsp. ground mustard

1 Tbsp. dried thyme

1 tsp. ground ginger

1/2 tsp. dried oregano


ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

1 broiler/fryer chicken, cut up

Vegetable oil


In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; mix well. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 3 batches (2 ½ cups total).


To Prepare Chicken: Place about ¾ cup of coating in a large resealable plastic bag. In a shallow dish, beat eggs and milk. Dip chicken pieces into mixture, then place in the bag; seal and shake until coated.


In a large skillet, heat ½ inch of oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on all sides; remove to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until juices run clear.



Hope you try it and enjoy!

Comments

Post a Comment