New Recipe: Baked Ziti

I've tried another new recipe!

Even though my husband is Italian and grew up eating Baked Ziti, in our 7 years of marriage, I had never yet attempted to make Baked Ziti. Shocking, I know.

I'm sure there are different methods of making Baked Ziti, but the recipe I tried used layering similar to lasagna. I made a few minor adjustments (namely a larger dish!). It came out great and I will definitely make it again!



Baked Ziti

1 (16 ounce) package dry ziti pasta
1 pound lean ground beef or Italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
20 ounces (approx. 1 1/2  jars) spaghetti sauce
6 ounces sliced provolone cheese                       
6 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese or 1 1/2 cups shredded
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.

In a large skillet, brown beef over medium heat. Add onions; saute until tender. Drain off fat and add spaghetti sauce; simmer for about 15 minutes.

In a lightly greased 4 quart baking dish or 9x13 pan, place about half of the pasta; top with a layer of provolone and mozzarella cheese slices. Spread on a layer of half the spaghetti sauce mixture and sour cream.

Cover with remaining pasta, cheese and sauce; sprinkle a layer of Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.

Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until cheese and sauce are bubbly; serve.

NOTES
This recipe makes a lot! Don’t use anything smaller than a 9x13 pan or a 4 quart dish, you may even wish to use something larger. I used two 2-quart dishes so I could serve one for dinner and put the other one in the freezer (before baking it) for a later meal; both dishes were filled to the max!



On the Menu for this week

Slow Cooker Pepper Steak (new recipe)
Chicken Enchiladas
Chicken Club Sandwiches
Pasta Alfredo
Pizza


Linking to
Menu Plan Monday
.

Comments

  1. I took a similar dish to a church potluck and found myself hoping others wouldn't dig in so that I would have leftovers!
    This looks wonderful! Can't wait to try it out!
    Thanks for popping by my place!
    Kerry at housetalkn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great menu!!! I am definitely in the split up the dish into two stage of life!! I am so loving sending half to the freezer though! :) Thanks for visiting my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just put this together and it's in the oven! It looks delicious. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment